HOD's Profile : Department of Agronomy
Victor O. Adetimirin
Professor of Plant Breeding
Head, Department of Agronomy, University of Ibadan (February 2012 to date)
Coordinator, Plant Breeding Programme of the Pan-African University
B.Sc. Agriculture (Crop Science), University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria 1982-1986
M.Sc. Agronomy (Crop Science), University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria 1987-1988
Ph.D. (Plant Breeding), University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria 1990-1995
Research Fellow, International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, Ibadan, Nigeria 1991-1993
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Kyungpook National University, Taegu, South Korea 1998-2000
Visiting Scientist, Inst. of Genomic Diversity, Cornell University, Ithaca, USA Jan-Nov. 2004
● Adaptation of temperate shrunken-2 maize population to tropical conditions
● Developing shrunken-2 maize inbred lines for hybrid production
● Improvement of shrunken-2 lines and populations for seed and seedling vigour
● Use of molecular markers in crop improvement
● Improvement of maize for resistance/tolerance to biotic and abiotic stresses
Zard Award for Outstanding Performance in the penultimate year, B.Sc. Agric Programme 1985
Pfizer Medal/Price for the Best Graduating Student in Crop Science 1986
Hitachi UK-Japan Eminent Scholars Award for Contributions to Education in Nigeria 2014
Some Selected Publications
1. Abe, A., V.O. Adetimirin, A. Menkir, S.P. Moose and A.B. Olaniyan. 2013. Performance of tropical maize hybrids under conditions of low and optimum levels of nitrogen fertilizer application –grain yield, biomass production and nitrogen accumulation. Maydica 59: 141-150.
2. Abe, A., A. Menkir, S.P. Moose, V.O. Adetimirin and A.B. Olaniyan. 2013. Genetic variation for nitrogen-use efficiency among selected tropical maize hybrids differing in grain yield potential. Journal of Crop Improvement 27: 31-52.
3. Akaogu, I.C. B. Badu-Apraku, V.O. Adetimirin , B. Vroh, M. Oyekunle and R. Akinwale. 2012. Genetic diversity assessment of extra-early maturing yellow maize inbreds and hybrid performance under Striga-infested and Striga-free environments. Journal of Agricultural Science, Cambridge
4. Aikpokpodion, P.O., M. Kolesnikova-Allen, V.O. Adetimirin, M.J. Guiltinan, A. B. Eskes, J.C. Motamayor and R.J. Schnell. 2010. Population structure and molecular characterization of Nigerian field genebank collections of Cacao, Theobroma cacao L. Silvae Genetica 59(6): 273-285.
5. Okorogri, E.B., V.O. Adetimirin, G. Ssemakula, B. Odu and A.G.O. Dixon. 2010. Rate of re-infection of tissue culture-derived Latin America and East and South Africa cassava genotypes by mosaic disease. African Journal of Biotechnology 9(51): 8748-975.
6. Menkir, Abebe, Victor O. Adetimirin, Chabi G. Yallou and Melaku Gedil. (2010). Relationship of genetic diversity of inbred lines with different reactions to Striga hermonthica (Del.) Benth and the performance of their crosses. Crop Science 50: 602-611.
7. Aikpokpodion, P.O.,J.C. Motamayor, V.O. Adetimirin, Y. Adu-Ampomah, I. Ingelbrecht, A.B. Eskes, R.J. Schnell and M. Kolesnikova-Allen. (2009). Genetic diversity assessment of sub-samples of cacao, Theobroma Cacao L. collections in West Africa using simple sequence repeats marker. Tree Genetics and Genomes: 5(4): 699-711.
8. Yallou, C.G., A. Menkir, V.O. Adetimirin and J.G. Kling. (2009). Combining ability of maize inbred lines containing genes from Zea diploperennis for resistance to Striga hermonthica (Del.) Benth. Plant Breeding 128: 143-148.
9. Adetimirin, V.O. (2008): Stand establishment and early field vigour variation in a tropicalised shrunken-2 maize population. Field Crops Research 108: 143-149.
10. Adetimirin, V.O., Irie Vroh-Bi, C. The, A. Menkir, S.E. Mitchell and S. Kresovich (2008): Diversity analysis of elite maize inbred lines adapted to West and Central Africa using SSR markers Maydica 53: 143-149.
11. Adeniyi, O.J., V.O. Adetimirin, I. Ingelbrecht and R. Asiedu (2008): Shoot and plantlet regeneration from meristems of Dioscorea rotundata Poir and Dioscorea alata L. African Journal of Biotechnology 7(8): 1003-1008.
12. Adetimirin, V.O. (2007): Modelling Grain Amaranth Leaf Area from Linear Measurements. Nigerian Journal of Science 41:89-76.
13. Kim, S.K., V.O. Adetimirin, S.T. Yoon, M.A. Adepoju and B.A. Gbadamosi (2007): Green maize potential of hybrid and open-pollinated cultivars at varying levels of applied nitrogen: Relationship with grain yield. Tropical Science 47(4): 149-158 (V.O. Adetimirin – corresponding author).
14. Adetimirin, V.O. (2007): Relationships among three non-destructive seedling vigour indices in maize. International Journal of Plant Breeding 1(2): 123-128. (Invited Article).
15. Adetimirin, V.O., S.K. Kim and M. Szeck (2006): Factors associated with emergence of shrunken-2 maize in Korea. Journal of Agricultural Science, Cambridge 144:63-68.
16. Atehnkeng, J., V.O. Adetimirin and S.Y.C.Ng. (2006): Exploring the African cassava (Manihot esculenta Crantz) germplasm for somatic embryogenic competence. African Journal of Biotechnology 5(14): 1324-1329.
17. The, C., H. Calba, C. Zonkeng, E.L.M. Ngonkeu, V.O. Adetimirin, H.A. Mafouasson, S.S. Meka and W.J. Horst (2006): Responses of maize grain yield to changes in acid soil characteristics after soil amendments. Plant and Soil 284: 45-57.
18. Adetimirin, V.O. (2005): Genetic variation for seed weight in a shrunken-2 maize population after four cycles of mass selection. Nigerian Journal of Science 39: 65-71.
19. Adetimirin, V.O., M.E. Aken’Ova and S.K. Kim (2005): Epistasis for partial resistance to Striga hermonthica in maize. Ibadan Journal of Agricultural Research 1(1): 77-84.
20. Kim. S.K., V.O. Adetimirin, C. The and R. Dossou (2002): Yield losses due to Striga hermonthica in West and Central Africa. International Journal of Pest Management 48(3):211-217.
21. Adetimirin, V.O., M.E. Aken’Ova and S.K. Kim (2001): Detection of epistasis for horizontal resistance to Striga hermonthica in maize (Zea mays L.). Maydica 46:27-34.
22. Adetimirin, V.O., S.K. Kim and M.E. Aken’Ova (2000): Responses of mid-altitude maize inbred lines to Striga hermonthica infestation. Cereal Research Communications 28(4): 469-475.
23. Bamikole, M.A., I. Ezenwa, M.K. Adewumi, A.B. Omojola, V.O. Adetimirin, O.M. Arigbede and S.A. Orisadeyi (2000): Alternative feed resources for formulating concentrate diets of rabbits. I. Unthreshed grain amaranth seedhead. World Rabbit Science 8(3): 125-129.
24. Kim, S.K. and V.O. Adetimirin (2001): Conditioning effects of Striga hermonthica seed on field performance of maize. Crop Protection 20: 159-161.
25. Adetimirin, V.O., S.K. Kim and M.E. Aken’Ova (2000): Expression of mature plant resistance to Striga hermonthica in maize. Euphytica 115: 149-158.
26. Adetimirin, V.O., M.E. Aken’Ova and S.K. Kim (2000): Effects of Striga hermonthica on yield components in maize. Journal of Agricultural Science, Cambridge 135: 185-191.
27. Kim, S.K., C. The, V.O. Adetimirin, J. Kling, A. Makinde, T. Bamidele, A. Ogaji, O. Solademi and D. Adekunle (2000): Development of Striga hermonthica tolerant and resistant tropical maize germplasm lines and synthetics. Korean Journal of International Agriculture 12(2): 161-165.
28. Adetimirin, V.O.,S.K. Kim and M. E. Aken’Ova (2000): An alternative method of screening maize for tolerance to Striga. African Crop Science 8(2): 171-178.
29. Kim, S.K. and V.O. Adetimirin (1997): Striga hermonthica seed inoculum rate effects on maize hybrid tolerance and susceptibility expression. Crop Science 37: 1066-1071.
30. Kim, S.K. and V.O. Adetimirin (1997): Responses of tolerant and susceptible maize varieties to timing and rate of nitrogen under Striga hermonthica infestation. Agronomy Journal 89: 38-44.
31. Kim, S.K., V.O. Adetimirin and A.Y. Akintunde (1997): Nitrogen effects on Striga hermonthica infestation, grain yield, and agronomic traits of tolerant and susceptible maize hybrids. Crop Science 37: 711-716.